Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My First Archery Hunt

September 29th was the first day of archery season in Pennsylvania. My husband and I had plans to go out in the afternoon for my first archery hunt . Why the evening you ask?  We have a 3 year old and we did not have some one to stay with him in the morning. But we did have someone to keep him in the evening so that we could go out to hunt.

So by 3:30 pm, we were headed into the woods. It's the first time I am in the tree stand, in the woods. (I had practiced shooting from the tree stand in our yard.) Hubby is giving me last minute tips and encouragement, then he leaves me and walks about 100 yards from me to his tree stand.


The wind started to pick up and the tree started moving, I started freaking out. REMINDER... this was the first time actually sitting in my tree stand where I was hunting. Hubby and I were texting a bit. I had to tell him I was nervous about being in the tree when the wind picked up. He told me about the black squirrels running around below his tree stand. Then he said get ready, here come some does.  I saw the does, but they were at the other end of the field from me. Seeing them made my heart start pounding and I was thankful that I actually got to see some deer on my first night out. Just a short while later, I hear some movement to my right. It was two doe, they walk up to about 10 yards away from me. I'm so excited, catastrophe strikes...I physically can't pull my bow back. I think it was just the adrenaline and excitement. After a bit the does turn and walk away from me, but then one walks underneath the tree in front of me. I was able to pull my bow back this time, but I did not get a shot. She then turn around again, but this time she entered the field to my left and walked around until she was behind me.  At that moment, I was so happy I was in the tree I was in. I turned around, hide behind the tree to pull my bow back and then leaned around the tree and got my shot at this doe.


The Rage Broadhead was good to me. We only walked about 20 yards before finding my arrow.  The doe was just a short distance away from where we found my arrow. About 60 yards total from where she was standing when I shot her.  I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe I had shot a doe (which I wanted to shot first). I have the best hubby in the world...he gutted the deer and dragged it to the truck for me. 

The morning after proof that I really did shoot a doe the night before, my bloody arrow back in the quiver. Round two, will be this weekend. This time I hope to see some bucks. But for now I am still just basking in my triumph. I shot a deer!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. So extremely proud of you!!! :) and cant wait to get my first!!

    ReplyDelete