Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Venison Recipes

What are your favorite venison recipes?

Recently I realized we are out of venison, so of course I am craving venison. So I have started thinking about  venison recipes.  I wanted to share my favorite recipe with you. I have also asked my Facebook followers what their favorite venison recipes are. So I am going to share those with you too.

My absolute favorite way to eat venison steaks is fried up with butter and onions. Sometimes I will even add mushrooms. I know it is simple and maybe even a bit boring. Growing up that was always the way my dad cooked it so I think that is really why it is my favorite. I like to have asparagus or a sweet potato with my venison. Just recently I came across a new recipe for broccoli & cheese baked potato. I can't wait to try this with some venison. (Yes, I know it will be a while since we are out of venison.)

Marty G, follower of A Little Pink in a Camo World  gave me a marinade recipe to try:
Marinade
Oj
Worcestershire
Garlic
Ginger
Red Wine
Put in a ziplock bag with venison and refrigerate overnight. Grill it ... charcoal preferably.

My son's new favorite way to eat venison is bacon wrapped venison. My brother made them for him. He just cut up strips of venison and wrapped a slice of bacon around each piece and baked. Bacon on anything makes it better.

Just so everyone knows, typing these recipes is giving me an even bigger craving for venison. I'm getting a little angry that we do not have any in the freezer to eat.

Biscuts, gravy and deer sausage (or my husbands favorite - homefries, gravy & sausage). Try using deer sausage instead of elk sausage in this recipe....When Biscuits, gravy and elk sausage collide. I recently discovered a new blog From the Draw. Emily posted this recipe. I can't wait to try it.

This recipe is for my hubby. I'll make these this fall for football Sunday. I found this recipe on Legendary Whitetail website. Thank you Jennifer Rademacher for sharing your recipe.
  Bacon wrapped Deer Poppers
1 1/2 lbs marinated venison steak, cut into cubes
1 (8 oz) pkg of cream cheese, cut into small cubes
1 lb bacon, cut in half
8-10 jalapenos, cut in half, cleaned & cut into 1/4 inch strips
Place a cube of cream cheese on a strip of jalapeno, top with venison and wrap in bacon. Thread onto skewers and grill over low heat until bacon is crisp and venison is cooked through.

My next recipe comes from a friend. Her family likes to eat venison marinated in garlic butter and grilled or broiled. Yum!

Ok. I can't take it anymore. I have to stop writing the post because I am salivating over it. And getting more and more depressed that we are out of venison. It is also making me more determined to kill more deer this fall. Last year hubby and I each got one deer. This year I hope we can get two each! I better get out and shoot my bow and guns more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, those all look so good! Fall needs to hurry up and get here!

    ReplyDelete