Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hunting with Toddlers

Spring gobbler season is wrapping up here and I'm bummed that I didn't get to go out hunting more. But at the same time I had been feeling guilty about going hunting. We have a toddler, so when ever we go hunting we have to have G spend the night at a grandparent's house.

So this spring between hunting and working, G had to be with a his grandparents or a babysitter 3 weekends in a row. That makes me feel very guilty. I work all week long, then to have him be with someone else on the weekends really ramps up the mommy guilt. When I was out hunting I was thinking about much better it will be when G is old enough to go hunting with us. But when is old enough?

When did you first take your toddler hunting? What animal where you hunting for?  Our soon to be 4 year old has been out squirrel, rabbit and wood chuck hunting with his Dad and Poppa. We plan to continue doing this when ever we can.

Our tot is not ready to sit quietly for a couple hours to be able to go hunting with us. Heck, he gets bored fishing if the fish are not "jumping in the boat".   :)

He does like to go small game hunting with us during the fall and I know when he is ready we will love hunting. But until that point I don't think my mommy guilt will be going away anytime soon. But I want to keep hunting and I want to hunt more. But until he is ready we will keep asking Grandma and Grandpa to keep G over night, so that Mommy and Daddy can hunt.

So for the parents of toddlers, how do/did you handle hunting with small children?

No comments:

Post a Comment