Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cristy the Huntress...


So I thought that it might be nice for my readers to get to know me the huntress a bit better. So I came up with a series of questions to answer for you.  Feel free to ask more questions in the comment section.

What was my first hunting experience?  My first time hunting was for spring gobbler. My hubby took me out and we sat in a blind on a very cold spring morning. The first sounds of the turkeys gobbling were amazing.  I will always remember that morning. And of course, I didn't dress warm enough.

Who got me interested in hunting?  Myself. I have been around hunting my whole life but never really wanted to go.  After my hubby got me a compound bow so that we could shoot together and go to 3D shoots. I started surfing the web for articles on women bow shooters and I discovered that lots of women hunted and enjoyed doing it. Seeing the pictures of their harvests was inspiring and so I decided to ask hubby if he would take me hunting. He was SHOCKED!


My most memorable hunt?  Since I have only been hunting a short time, I would say when I got my deer. To read more about getting my first deer, click here.






What do I do when I am not hunting?  I am a wife and mom of a 4 year old boy. I work full time at a college. When I'm not doing house work or working, I enjoy spending time with my family, going to 3D archery shoots, 4 wheeling, fishing, boating, and occasional nights out with my girls dancing.


What inspires me to keep hunting?  My main inspirations are my husband and son. Right now hunting give hubby and I some quiet time together while enjoying nature. And in the future hunting with my son and husband will be wonderful. I am a firm believer in the saying "The family that hunts together stays together." My brother is also a big part of my continued interest. He is always giving me gifts that have to do with hunting. Last Christmas he got me a bunch of turkey calls and a pair of hunting gloves. Of course, the adrenalin rush you get when you are in the woods and you see the animal that you are hunting for.
Left to right: CJ, me, cousin Josh, brother Jimmy
My son shooting

What obstacles have I faced being a huntress?  My first big obstacle is gutting a deer and dragging it. Which I have not yet had to do either of, since I have only harvested one deer so far. I am a bit squeamish when it comes to blood and guts. So I bought field dressing gloves for my next kill. I would also say buying  clothing and boots that are made for a huntress is a little difficult in my neck of the woods. Not a lot of options. I know you can buy stuff online, but I really like to try things on especially if I am spend a hundred plus dollars on something.

So if you have not shared your huntress lifestyle with your family and friends, "What are you waiting for?" It is up to our generation of hunters and huntresses to teach the new generation the ins and outs of hunting so that they may pass the tradition on to the next generation. Take pride in being able to harvest your own food. Go be a great huntress role model.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine you gutting a deer! I might give hunting a go, but I'll be nowhere around when its time for the dirty stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete