Monday, July 22, 2013

Meet Hunter James

This is the first of two "Meet Hunter".... I want to introduce you to the 2 men in my life that inspire me and help me to continually grow as a huntress.  So today I want you to meet my brother...James. I asked James the same questions that I ask my Huntresses.


1. What was your first hunting experience? 
Sparrows, in the backyard with my Quicksilver BB gun. Actual first chance to wack something nice was in Cuba, New York.  I was with my dad, it was the 3rd drive of the day, I was about 10 years old and all bundled up in a snowsuit. We had walked across a blustery field and then came to a pine block and I saw 3 ruffed grouse on the ground about 10 yards away. I told dad not to move, we stopped and I eased up my 760 with the cross-hairs on the bird. Snap PFFFFFTTTT. Dad was shocked. 

2. Who got you into hunting? My dad.

3. What is your most memorable hunting experience? 
Most memorable hunting experience, wow I need a criteria for that. I would have to say bird hunting for the first time I ever went to Tonowanda swamp duck hunting with dad. We got there late but the birds were like mosquitoes. I shot my first drake wood duck, a drake mallard and 2 green wing teal (AKA...pocket ducks). We didn't hunt the pocket ducks after the first year because there was not much to eat on them.

4. What are your hobbies, besides hunting?
Hockey, fishing, football, watching sports, movies at the drive-inn and shopping at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro shops. I really like bass tournaments. I also like to teach people to hunt and fish. It is challenging and rewarding to see them succeed.  I also like to break clay with a shotgun.

5. What are the obstacles you face when hunting? 
My patience. I have to probably be the best impatient hunter there is. I have some techniques that work for my impatience. As I get older I am more impatient. My eyes also. I will have to switch from open sights to a scope in the future. The bugs and poison ivy when spring turkey hunting.

6. What are your favorite hunting sites/shows? 
Roger Raglin Outdoors because he slug hunts whitetails, Pheasants Forever, NWTF turkey shows and Ducks Unlimited (especially now that it's dirty bird Browning sponsored). I like to research on ballistic calculators, bullet trajectory and wind resistance coefficients. I frequent Browning and other major shotgun sites. Airgun reporter is also a favorite.


7. Who inspires you to stay involved in hunting? 
Mainly my nephew and my sister. I like to help people learn to hunt. I might consider retirement after they figure out hunting and kill a big monster. lol

8. How do you stay informed on hunting issues?  
I read Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, what the news and listen to people's scuttle butt. I think it's a jungle out there and a lot of good gun owners/hunters get a bad rap. But it is like every game, it only takes one or two bad apples to spoil the whole crate.



I  hope that all of the huntresses out there have someone in their life to help and inspire them to be the best huntress they can be.



No comments:

Post a Comment