Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fishing different lakes...

Fishing different lakes in your area can be challenging. But what about fishing in different states? This is the dilemma I am facing now.

As I continue working to fill my tackle box…I have been struggling with what lures to buy. I struggle with wanting to buy the ones that have always worked for me in the past. The problem with doing that is that I lived in Western New York then. Now I live in Northwest Pennsylvania.

Hubby and I have different ideas about what bait to use when it comes to panfish fishing. I have always used tube jigs and minnows to catch perch, crappie and bluegill. Hubby has always used an ant jig and grubs. And the grubs work. We are catching a bunch this summer. So I can't argue with him.

Favorite tube jig
My favorite go to tube jig for panfish has not worked for me here in PA. I'm not sure if it is just the location on the lake we are fishing. Or is it the time of year? Or is it just this lake? Or maybe it is just the simple fact that we have not tried this jig with a minnow on it. (That's how it worked before. Hubby uses grubs for panfish. :p That is a whole other story.) Hard to tell. So if you can't beat them, join them...I now fish with an ant and grubs.

 We have been stocking our freezer with bluegill. So now I would like to start fishing for some pike or walleye. I want  to get some bigger fillets to try different recipes.  

WARNING ... Shameless plug ... check out my Friday Fish Recipes.  For the next month or so, I will be posting new fish recipes to try.

So what lures do I buy? Do I start with what has worked for me in the past? Or do I just buy something that looks good? What I have decided is that I will pick up a lure or 2 to try and each time I go out fishing I will try a new lure out of my husband’s tackle box. :) Then when I find one that works, I can go pick up one for myself. I will buy one that looks like it could work and I will probably buy something that has worked before for me also.


Worst case, I will have the lures I know that will work when we visit family in NY. 

How do you decide which lures to buy when you are fishing in a different lake or state? I welcome your input so leave me a message.

Now that I have been writing about fishing I want to go fish, but I have to go to work shortly. Maybe I will pick up an fishing magazine to read tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I think your best bet is to consult your brother. You wanna know how i pick lures. For certain bodies is research the lake it's panish prey,i also throw in a few shots, in the dark, and old favorites, figure clear water colors of baits stained water for bait's and muddy water for baits. And you have to let the fish tell you what they want. Example, you got tube on a float sitting in a black and grey color ur jiggling wiggling sitting still minnow no minnow all kinds of changes and nothingand then you get hooked on a weed ur minnow pops off but bait is clean but you don't know so you start reeling it in at a good clip. And wack a nice 11 inch slab crappie smacks it to ur suprise and delight. What does that tell you, You need a moving bait a tube and float with bait is below there aggression level. and you stay with say a 1 inch countdown rapala and retrieve it and say you catch a couple. So then you decide try a sassy shad 1 inch on a 1 64th jighead but all you have is a blue and white and wham action picks-up some more. So then you reel speedy with twitches and more strikes and more nice crappies. So this says reaction bite. So alls there is left to do is get your spike marker out and dab it with a dab of red. Wally Marshal knows these things he is crappie pro.

    ReplyDelete