Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ice Fishing...Yay or Nay



It has finally gotten cold enough and staying cold for ice to form on the lakes and be safe to be on. My hubby is ecstatic!  Last winter was so mild in our area, hubby only got to go ice fishing once. He has been able to go twice this year and is hoping to go again this weekend.

Hubby and a few of his buddies go to a couple of tournaments a year. At the end of February there is an ice fishing tournament scheduled at a local lake. I believe this is the only tournament he is planning to go to this year.  The weather has to stay cold for a few more weeks for the lake to be ready for the tournament. Hopefully it will, we need more fish for the freezer. He has asked my brother to come down and join in the fun this year. My brother, Jimmy, is a big fisherman but he doesn't do to much ice fishing. So, Hubby will be even more excited about the tournament if my brother comes down.


 (Hubby's catch from a tournament a few years ago.)

As for me, I like to fish but I really have no desire to go out on a frozen lake to fish. Even if the ice hut is nice and toasty warm, I don't want to be on the ice. I also don't want to be running around on the ice checking all the tip ups. I guess you could say I have a fear of the ice. I don't really have a reason to be scared. I have not had an experience (good or bad) with ice fishing. Ironically, I think fish caught during ice fishing season tastes way better and not as fishy than when the fish is caught during the rest of the year. I think the cold water just makes them taste better. But I am just to scared to go out on the ice. I know that my husband would never be on the ice if it wasn't safe, let alone take me out on ice that was not safe. Hubby used to ask me to go with him and try to entice me with how warm the ice hut will be. Since I have declared several times that I don't want to go, he makes ice fishing a time to hang with his buddies. Along with going to tournaments, hubby and his buddies pack up the ice hut, fishing gear, chairs, buddy heater, venison and the camp stove and the spend the night on the ice fishing. I think that it is great! I get to have a night with G-man or go out with my girlfriends. It's our relax and re-boot time.

So what about G-man. When hubby mentions going fishing of any kind, he is right there asking "can I go with you daddy?"  Hubby does want to take him ice fishing. I don't want to deprive G-man of time with his dad, but I am nervous. And I NEVER want to discourage him from being outside and being a sportsman. I am sure I am just projecting my fear of the ice onto the situation, but I can't help it. Obviously, ice fishing is safe since it has been going on for decades. We have friends that take their children with them when they go ice fishing. So the question is - Do I let G-man go out ice fishing with his dad? I probably will let him, but I will be worried the entire time. This weekend could be the first time that G-man will get to go ice fishing. So I'll comment to let you know how it went and how I did.

If it is could enough where you are, get out and do some ice fishing.
Good luck & be careful.

1 comment:

  1. This a great article that really profiles some one on the edge of ice fishing or not.

    ReplyDelete